Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tis as hot as you thought...

I was walking my lil cute-magnet Ladybug through the neighborhood yesterday when two lil girls wanted to pet her; in the course of conversation, one of them told me her parents' car thermomenter had gotten to 103 degrees the day before.

Now I know for sure that Wichita is like Phoenix; the airport temperature is nothing like the temp on the ground where I actually have to live.... that heat radiating off the asphalt is what I am trying to breathe in! Tis what my air conditioner is so valiantly trying to cool down to breathable, I mean... I stay in when the worst of the heat hits.

But then, after that, I had the oddest thought... "summer is ephemeral: the heat is only here for a little while and then it will go away..."

This is such a startling concept for someone who is used to summer nine months of the year, and absolute hell for six months of that!!

This heat is going to go away............and I am going to wish it would come back.

Can you IMAGINE?!

I think healing is happening for me on so many levels--even on a climate level, lol! Me, the one who has wilted in April every year for decades, who has suffered horribly through all those hellish months of unremitting glare and blast-oven-like heat, *I* am going to wish in six months or so that summer would come back! I, of ALL people, am going to wish for heat....

I never in my wildest dreams would have that possible. It boggles my mind.

Summer is ephemeral.

Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cath,

    Hot is the word...we are ONLY getting up to 84 today. Might need a sweater,LOL!! We try not to complain about the heat without immediately giving thanks for it in case the Gods decide to punish our impudence with a long cold winter. Brrrrr...

    Air conditioning is SUCH a wonderful invention!!
    Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm here freezing my butt off in Australia!

    But I'm enjoying it. I will never wish for the warmer weather to come back, it just makes me suffer.

    ReplyDelete

So... what do you think?