Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dessert, anyone?

Eeeep, what's up with Blogger? The only choice it gives me is the font, everything else is X'd out! Ah, the controls work even so. *relief* Well, I don't know if pics will load, and I'm still not feeling too great, so I will just post this recipe without a pic.

Dessert Enchiladas, banana-pumpkin

Sweetly Spicy Tortillas:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 or 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cardamom

Mix together thoroughly.

3 Tablespoons butter

Cut butter (or shortening) into flour until well mixed.

1/3 to 2/3 cup water
extra flour as needed

Stir in. The sugar and extra butter make this dough very sticky, so start with the lower amount of water. I didn't remember and just blithely dumped in the usual 2/3 cup... it took almost a full cup of flour to fix that! Knead the dough about five minutes, and let rest thirty minutes in a covered plastic container.

Filling:
3/4 cup really ripe mashed banana
3/4 cup leftover canned punkin
1/3 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/2 teaspoon Mexican or other strong vanilla (or 1 teaspoon regular vanilla)

Mix together and use for filling.


Roll out the dough into six to eight inch circle-ish tortillas; I used half the dough and made eight thick tortillas because I was in a hurry. I think these would be better with thin tortillas, though. Cook the tortillas in a hot skillet, flipping once, until they rise on both sides, about a minute for each one. Stack them on a plate.

Preheat oven to 325 Fahrenheit. Spread a couple big spoonfuls of sweetened condensed milk (right out of the can) on the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan. One at a time, layer a line of filling on each tortilla, spread some chopped walnuts on the filling, and roll the tortilla like a burrito. Place each one into the pan, smooshing the first six together as needed, and put the last two sideways in the remaining empty space. Pour on the sauce--I used more sweetened condensed milk--sprinkle with a little brown sugar, and bake until hot and bubbly, fifteen to twenty minutes.

These were w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l! But the sauce was way too rich and sweet, so I'm thinking that next time--and I do have leftover ingredients!!--I will thin the sauce with an equal amount of milk...or maybe even more than equal. It was almost like eating raw candy... that sweet.

Didn't stop me from having one for lunch, though. *cheeky grin*

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good and I will definitely be trying it.

    ReplyDelete

So... what do you think?