Thursday, March 4, 2021

Ooops! Need to catch up!

I see there's been a week between my posts. It's like I left y'all in limbo! So! I did get the potting soil, 3 bags of organic 50 quart from Miracle-Gro for $9 apiece (Costco is mah frien'!!). 50 quarts is 1.67 cubic feet, and I could have gotten 2 cubic foot bags of conventional at the hardware store, but they would have been $15 apiece and none of us could lift them.

When I opened the first bag I almost started singing. The organic potting mix is glorious!! Fine grained and smells wonderful, feels wonderful. It's brown instead of black and holds a LOT of water. 

The buckets have holes (courtesy Gryph) but I changed my mind about how I want to use them. One is now going to be dedicated to sweet peas because I don't want to take a chance on mixing them in with garden peas (sweet peas are toxic). The other may be a new potato bucket, but the starts I had are now in a restaurant to-go bag, a big clear one with handles. I just couldn't resist, lol. It's now out in the greenhouse and will get more potting soil as the leaves grow.

I've repotted the strawberries--such teeny lil things they are!!--and I've filled another flat of sixpacks with soil and seeds, part bok choi from Baker Creek, mostly salad mix from Wild Garden Seed.

Had to rearrange the garden corner of the kitchen. It still doesn't work quite right and I probably have to address that sometime in the next two weeks.

The 72 cell propagator on the fridge is filled with teensy herb sprouts, almost all of them up in just a week! But it's too soon to plant them out because we're due for frosty weather the 13th through 18th of March. After that they can all be potted up and moved to the greenhouse.

And now I think we're all caught up, at least until I plant something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So... what do you think?